Saturday, May 1, 2010

Arctic Moneys


British indie rock band Arctic Monkeys have been around for almost nine years, but have only just recently been inducted into my iTunes library. The album I was drawn to is titled Favourite Worst Nightmare. I have a Pandora internet radio account, and one of the artists I picked to base Pandora to pick play songs based on is the Decemberists. On that station, Pandora played the song "505" by Arctic Monkeys. Immediately after the song finished I checked all the information Pandora offered about the song and artist-I couldn't do it during the song, because I was too engulfed in the listening. I downloaded(Legally or illegally? you'll never know) the whole album and listened to in in its entirety straight through. There are many different aspects and characteristics of indie rock that are displayed on the album, and "505" is a musical masterpiece. The transitions, tempos, instrumentals and vocals, in the whole record but in "505" especially, create an awesome listening experience and really live up to the indie rock genre brand name. I found myself very, very upset when I realized I missed their set at ACL last year, but hopefully I will get the chance to see them again. Attached is a live version of "505" from Glastonbury 2007. Do yourself a favor and listen to it entirely, especially the climax around 3:20. enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment