Thursday, March 25, 2010

Broken Bells


Broken Bells is a new indie rock band composed of artist-producer Brian Burton a.k.a. Danger Mouse and The Shins lead singer and guitarist James Mercer. Since Danger Mouse is a hip-hop producer and artist, one would think that a hip-hop and indie rock fusion is a little out in left field. Producers and internet dwellers have been making remixes and mash-ups with the two genres for years, but this band is on a completely different level. Even with Danger Mouse's hip-hop background, the band undoubtedly has a more indie rock sound and feel with Mercer's singing and guitar playing, but still contains some solid beats and rhythm. The band's most popular song is "The High Road," which was released as a single late last year and received Single of the Week in the iTunes Store. I bought the single and was immediately hooked. As soon as their CD was released earlier this month I purchased it, with several requests for a copy from my friends. It quickly became a permanent fixture in my truck CD case, and stayed in my CD player for a solid week and was listened to nonstop. Broken Bells -self titled CD- is an awesome CD for many different listening occasions, and especially great for driving to. My favorite track is "The Mall & Misery," a very groovy tune that has catchy vocals and nice little guitar riffs. "Mongrol Heart" is definitely my second choice. Broken Bells played at SXSW (South by SouthWest) in Austin this past weekend, which I unfortunately did not get to see due to my Spring Break vacation. Depending on the circumstances at the time I might consider seeing them live if they came to a city nearby, but several chances have already passed by. I expect great things to come from this new collaborative band in the future; look them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment