Thursday, April 1, 2010

Blues at Sunrise


I have always loved the way Stevie Ray Vaughan played the electric guitar. The man was often described as the quintessential Texan Guitarist, and is always ranked in the top ten or five, or even first, in terms of greatest players of all time. An even better side to Vaughan's playing days was his ability to clean up his drug use and play shows for over five years sober, with greater passion and skill than before. One of my most favorite albums of Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble is Blues at Sunrise, a combination of both studio and live versions of their slower blues songs. I have put this CD on before I go to sleep almost every night for the past two weeks. Vaughan's songwriting and manipulation of the Blues genre really shines in this collection of ten songs. My favorite tune has to be "Tin Pan Alley," which is a live version almost twelve minutes long that contains gritty lyrics with awesome guitar playing to counter them. Vaughan contributed so much to the Blues genre and had an impeccable playing style that has captivated me since the first time I heard him. The fact that he was a native Texan and was very proud of it makes me like him that much more. It kills me that he died at such a young age, and I always wonder what could have been of his amazing talent. But, I always have the music he did create while he was alive, which is more than I could ask for. Definitely look up Blues at Sunrise in the SRV & DT catalog if you haven't, and his other songs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment